Page 95

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left above: Minderbroederskerk and -complex after the restauration. In these buildings the first military hospital of Maastricht was vested, nowadays Regional Historical Centre Limburg (RHCL). | Photo Appie Derks Left below: The eastern courtyard of the military hospital in 1930. | RHCL GAM 15950 Below right: The eastern wing of the friars minor complex ca. 1930. One of the buildings of the former military hospital. | RHCL GAM 15949 93 1679 a prospective supplier of medicines approached the town weekly pay and deposited into the coffers of the hospital. council. Draft regulations of the institution were prepared by When a soldier was admitted, he had to pay three stuivers per the States General in 1679 and sent tot the town council. The day in hospital, which were deducted from his pay as well. An town was requested to designate a suitable building as soon as annual collection among the civilians and military personnel in possible. The available furnishings and equipment and the the town was held to raise extra funds for the hospital. interest on the available funds had to be used for the benefit of On 10 April, 1680, the State Council decided to the institution. A sort of health insurance system was appoint staff and personnel for the hospital. A budget was introduced whereby half a stuiver was deducted from every drawn up and instructions for the hospital master and receiver. soldiers weekly pay and a stuiver from every cavalryman’s Johan Balthasar Caspary was employed as medicinae doctor,


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above