Page 82

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

80 Former convent of the grey sisters at the Bosquetplein, nowadays the Museum of Natural History, ca. 1915. | RHCL GAM F13813 In 1796, the French annexation led to dissolution of the people of the former cell brothers and grey sisters were put in convents and confiscation of their property. On 25 November, the care of Didden, who did nothing more than lock them up the monastery of the cell brothers was dismantled. The grey and keep them alive. sisters were given notice by a decree of 1 December, 1796. As a result of French law the town’s contribution to They stubbornly resisted but left their convent, under strong the care of the mentally ill stopped: all charitable institutions protest, on 26 December 1796. The decree in question was also were terminated. The funds of the armentafel The Holy Ghost signed by a certain Joannes Didden. The convent of the grey were administered by Le Conseil d’Administration des sisters became insame asylum and was rented to Didden (!), Fondations Pieuses, the precursor of the Burgerlijk Armbestuur. who became ‘directeur de la maison des insinés’. Didden was The Conseil paid Diddens’ bills starting in 1797. It made probably a former warden of Laroque and Gulikers. He had also attempts to establish an asylum of its own and also the prefect temporarily replaced prison warden Hermans, who was his of the department of the Nedermaas made attempts to make brother in law. Apparently, his past was a recommendation: different provisions for the care of the insane, but the maison someone who could guard prisoners, would also be able to des insinés remained under private ownership. After Didden’s handle insane people. From 1 January, 1979, all mentally ill death, from 1804 bills were presented to the Conseil by


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above