Left below: Initiation protocol of the order of the sisters of Sint-Catharinadael, the faliezusters 1722. | RHCL Archief Klooster Sint-Catharinadal der faliezusters te Maastricht, inv.nr.1 Left: Convent of the grey sisters. Ph. van Gulpen 1847. | RHCL THA collection GAM album Van Gulpen 3 Below: Contract of the grey sisters and the Maastricht town council concerning the establishment of a convent.1674. | RHCL Archive Klooster der grauwzusters te Maastricht, inv.nr.1 79 correction for those who committed evil deeds without intent. Housing them in the same building caused numerous problems, which made the provincial father superior of the cell brothers separate the two groups. For that matter, the plans of the town were called off yet again in those years. The cost of fifty thousand guilders was too high. Gerard Delnoz is a name that is frequently mentioned. He accommodated various patients in his house in the Maastricht Grachtstraat. Around 1760, there were many complaints about Delnoz, but despite several visitations and negative evaluations it was not until 1767 that patients were transferred to the new insane asylum of medicinae doctor Augustinus Laroque in the Sint Teunisstraat. In 1779 Laroque was put behind bars because he had incited sexual abuse of patients in his care. He was succeeded by Gerard Gulikers. In 1794 during the siege by the French Gulikers’ house came under gun fire and burned down as a result, which sadly caused the deaths of four victims. The insane men were temporarily moved to prison warder Hermans place in the Dinghouse and shortly afterwards to the cell brothers. The female guests were lodged in the Sint Servaas hospice because there was no place for them at the grey sisters.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above