Page 71

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left: Sint Gillis hospital anno 2011. | Photo Appie Derks Below: Sint Gillis hospital in the Hoogbrugstraat. Earliest mention as hospice in 1286. ‘Hospice of the blessed Egidius in Wijck’. Later hospice for elderly poor women. 69 result of the disease was so severely disfi gured that she was In the thirteenth century, the Sint Nicolaas hospice in allowed to stay for the rest of her life in one of the houses. what is now the Brusselsestraat was established in the domain The town entrusted the administration of the institutions and of Tweebergen, which was governed by the provost of the Sint the steadily accumulated lands with buildings on them to a Servaas chapter. In 1265 it appears as the new hospice at number of Holy-Ghost masters, equal numbers from Luik and Tweebergen. Both hospice and chapel were located on the Brabant. These posts were highly sought after, because The southern wall of the Brusselsestraat on the corner of the Holy Ghost had developed into a prosperous institution of high current Jekerstraat. In 1414, control turned out to have been repute. Gradually, the institution came to occupy such a taken over by the town, which appointed hospice masters in prominent position in the town that it was called the Great that year. A steward permanently employed by the town Holy Ghost. In this way it was easier to distinguish it from the administered the rich estate. The stewardship was apparently Holy Ghosts in Wyck and elsewhere in Maastricht, which had unsatisfactory, for in 1584 the hospice buildings were split off from the original institution. They were all directly dilapidated and the town council decided to close it down. administered by the town council. When the horrifi c leprosy The possessions of the hospice were taken over by the fi nally appeared to have been banished at the end of the colleagues of the Sint Catharina hospice. The chapel remained fi fteenth century, the Great Holy Ghost took over a hospice for in use for a little while, unti 1612, when a soldier of the lepers with all its possessions on the road to Aachen, the garrison fi red a musket at a pigeon causing a fi re that destroyed, present Scharnerweg. The plague barracks built on the Nieuwe in addition to the chapel, over forty houses. It was then that the Bolwerk near the Helpoort in the 1470s were also owned by the property of the chapel also passed to the Sint Catharina Great Holy Ghost. The town was also directly in charge of the institution. Currently, only the neighbouring Sint Nicolaasstraat Sint Catharina hospice in the Houtmarkt and the Sint Nicolaas remains as a reminder of the hospice. hospice in the Brusselsestraat. On the location of the present premises 28 and 28a Markt, in the former Houtmarkt, a hospice with chapel, dedicated to Sint Catharina, had been established in the fourteenth century. It was a characteristic district hospice, providing care to the sick and the poor of the district, in particular to members of the district’s guild of cloth weavers. In the fourteenth century, however, the town took control of the hospice and the town council appointed the Sint Catharina masters to control the hospice. In 1610 the function of hospice ceased to exist.


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above