Page 70

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

68 long time the town was divided into thirteen quarters. The quarters played a part in various activities such as the town’s civil defence. The quarters also provided various services. For people of the quarter who were sick, beds were placed in the was called, ‘The Holy Ghost’. It is fi rst mentioned in sources chapel in view of the altar to enable them to attend daily mass. from 1316, when it received a testamentary bequest. The Holy The church or chapel of many quarters disappeared over time, Ghost provided care and shelter to categories of people but the church of Saint John, Saint Matthew and Saint identifi ed by the authorities. In the fi fteenth century, for Martinus have remained. example, every morning at eleven a.m. the rector of the chapel The town authorities also provided social services, attached to the institution, the Holy-Ghost Chapel in the Grote albeit to a lesser extent. In the early thirteenth century the Staat, had to say mass for traders and strangers who had been town had appointed facilities in the inner court between the unable to attend early mass elsewhere in the town. And the Markt and the Grote Staat. As in all surrounding towns, this town regularly housed disabled and old people without relatives in the houses on the inner court. They could count on support in the form of grain and coal. From the 1450s there is a case known of a woman who had been cured of leprosy but as a


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above