Below: Plan of the housing for plague suffereres , Helpoort in Maastricht. 1734. On the drawing left below the right-hand tower of the Helpoort. | RCHL Archive Indivieze raad Maastricht, inv.nr. 208 Right: Het Nieuwe Bolwerk, the walled area at the Helpoort. Detail of the maquette of Maastricht 1748. | RHCL, Fotocollection GAM 59 the Nieuwe Bolwerk, the stone house of the plague master was built. It is very likely that, like his colleagues the sick masters, this town official practiced medicine alongside his administrative duties. It was not until the eighteenth century that the wooden barracks were replaced by little stone houses. In the same century, Het Ancker, a large paper mill, was erected in the southeast corner of the Nieuwe Bolwerk on the Jeker. Mistakenly, this industrial building came to be known by the name ‘Pesthuis’. Actually, the plague master lived in the much lower building to the west of the paper mill. In the early years of the nineteenth century the plague barracks, which by then had been replaced by stone cottages, had to make way for the new town slaughterhouse, which until 1901 occupied the larger part of the Nieuwe Bolwerk.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above