Page 46

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Barber-surgeons under heavenly 44 13 protection. Alived in Aegea in the province of Cilicia (Souternlegend has it that Cosmas and Damianus, Christiantwin brothers from the Roman province of Arabia, Turkey) at the end of the third century. Without receiving any payment in return, they delivered medical care to anyone who needed it. According to the teachings of Hippocrates they never turned a patient away and treated both Christians and non-Christians. Because of the good care they received, many of the latter group converted to Christianity. This was a thorn in the side to Lysias, the Roman prefect. In 303, Emperor Diocletian (283-305) persecuted the Christians because they kept opposing the recurring wish of the emperors to be worshipped as living god. Lysias took this opportunity to take the twin brothers prisoner and had them beheaded. Not surprisingly, when the barber-surgeons of Maastricht formed a fraternity in 1651, they took Cosmas and Damianus as their patron saints. In earlier centuries, barber- Paul V and the two lords of the town consented to have it surgeons, then members of the kremer’s trade, had a Cosmas demolished. and Damianus altar in the Sint Joris chapel on the western The Sint-Joris chapel fell within the jurisdiction of the corner of the Grote Staat and the Spilstraat. This chapel, chapter of Sint Servaas. It seems thus not surprising that the which already existed in 1220, must originally have been a funds (religious foundations) to support the ‘rector’ or Roman building. Later it was partly given a gothic appearance ‘beneficant’ of the Cosmas and Damianus altar, which were as can be seen in a drawing by Simon a Bellomonte from obtained from the rents received for the Valmeer near 1587. The drawing depicts a Gothic choir with high, narrow Maastricht, were transferred to the Sint-Servaas church after windows. Healing powers were ascribed to the so-called Sint the destruction of the chapel. After some time had elapsed, Joris water, which was given to pilgrims in the Sint Joris a new altar was established in this church in the New Portal, chapel. One might wonder whether it should not have been the present Baptism Chapel. Altars to Antonius and John the called Cosmas and Damianus water, but an inventory of the Baptist and Nicolaas were also set up in the New Portal in chapel’s properties that has been preserved since 1539 shows addition to the altar of the holy Catherina, to whom the no concrete indications for this. In 1566 the Sint Joris chapel Gothic chapel was consecrated. The fraternity of barber- suffered severely from the ‘beeldenstorm’ (iconoclastic fury), surgeons and apothecaries celebrated its annual feast on which left the chapel in ruins. It was not until 1615 that pope 26 September, the name day of the saints. The celebrations


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above