Page 44

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Earliest map of Maastricht, which shows the Sint Servaas hospice at the Vrijthof. Drawing by canon Simon de Bellomonte in 1587. | RHCL collection reproductions. 849. 42 employed a medical doctor. After 1750, on the instigation of abscesses and breast cancer in particular. She is usually the Count of Aylva, the military governor, the hospice changed depicted holding a dish in her hands on which her cut off into a care institution for townspeople who were destitute and breasts are placed. sick. During this period, construction was undertaken once Where the hospice was exactly located and what it again. In 1773, the old chapel which had fallen into decay was looked like may one day be revealed by investigations. It is replaced by a new one. certain that the hospice was situated on the present Tafelstraat, After 1794, under French revolutionary rule the Sint which at least until some time in the seventeenth century was Servaas hospice was given yet another destination: it became a called Sint Aechtenstraat. A chapel in the Tafelstraat, which is civilian and military hospital. It continued in this way until visible on a panoramic drawing by Braun and Hogenberg of 1821 when the first Calvariënberg hospital was built in the 1554 is most probably not the Sint Agatha hospice but the Abtstraat. The part of the old hospice buildings on the Vrijthof chapel of Sint Gregorius. In a document of 1620 it is written outside the building line was demolished. that the two institutions were adjacent to each other, but remains of old buildings found on the other side of the street Sint Agatha hospice are probably from the earlier hospice, which indicates that Because hospices had been obligatory since 816, the hospice of ‘adjoining’ should probably be interpreted as ‘opposite’. By then the chapter of Onze Lieve Vrouw, like the Sint Servaas chapter, the hospice had long lost its function as shelter for pilgrims and most likely dates back to the ninth century. It must have been had become a home for poor people from the parish of Onze situated in the part of the town that fell within the jurisdiction Lieve Vrouwe, who were provided with food among other of the bishop of Maastricht. Perhaps this hospice was built after things. Between 1628 and 1650, the buildings were sold for six the episcopal see moved to Luik in the course of the ninth thousand guilders to private buyers, who parcelled them up into century, but also after his departure, the bishop continued to lots and turned them into private houses. govern the lands of the old episcopal see of Maastricht. It is said that the first hospice was devoted to Maria and intended to accommodate pilgrims visiting the treasured relics of the Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk. The prime attraction was a garment that was remarkable because it had belonged to Lambertus, the Maastricht saint and martyr, who was bishop of Maastricht from around 670 until around 706. Sources from 1387 bring more clarity regarding the hospice ‘of the bishop’. His hospice was dedicated to Saint Agatha, the martyr. The holy Agatha was patroness of nursing mothers and offered protection from chapped breasts, breast


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above