Page 211

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left: Logo of the academic hospital Maastricht in 1986. | Archive azM Left: Dr. J. Carpay (1941-2007), chairman of the board of directors of the academic hospital Maastricht from 1990 until 2003. At the background the young economist L. Brans Brabant. | Archive azM Rechts: Professor J. Greep (1929-2004), head of the department of Surgery azM and dean of the medical faculty MU. | RHCL Below: Minister J. Ritzen, the future chairman of the board of governors of Maastricht University, visiting the new academic hospital Maastricht, 4 March 1991. | RHCL 209 results of fundamental research in the laboratory to clinical practice. The cardiology department was at the forefront of this development. The transformation to academic hospital also affected the culture in and around the hospital. The purple robe (of professors) made its entry into the Maastricht and the Limburg dialect made way for Dutch as the main language in the hospital. Carpay took all potential new professors on a drive in the beautiful hills of Limburg before a seductive dinner in Chateau Neercanne. In 1986, an arts committee was set up. In accordance with the one per cent rule that applied to all government buildings, one per cent of the construction costs of the carcass of the building could be used to 'adorn' the building. This budget has been put to excellent use in azM. The arts increased during that period from 17,000 to over 19,000. committee bought work of modern Limburg artists every year, Of the patients admitted to the hospital 27 per cent were from building up a unique collection of paintings and sculpture by outside the Heuvelland region, illustrating the growing strength artists of the new classicism like Charles Eyck, Pieter Defesche, of the supraregional and top reference role. AzM gradually built Ger Lataster, Fons Haagmans and Jan Dibbets. a profile in the treatment of cardiac and vascular disease, including percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) and surgical treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, of haemodialysis and kidney transplantation, IVF, neonatology intensive care and autologous bone marrow transplantation. In 1989 a start was made with neurosurgery in collaboration with the De Wever hospital (today Atrium MC) in Heerlen. Late in 1990 azM was designated as regional centre for the treatment of AIDS. AzM was the workplace for education and research of the faculty of medicine. Every year almost eighty students undertook clerkship rotations in azM. Gradually the clinical profile and top reference care in the hospital and fundamental research of the faculty became more closely aligned. The bench to bedside programme was initiated to promote translation of


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above