Page 20

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

18 A new hospital of anaesthetics and measures to prevent surgery-related infections. After the defeat of Napoleon in 1814, the French occupation In Calvariënberg, specialists were appointed to ensure medical ended but many of the new judicial and social structures, which progress in Maastricht by introducing new diagnostic and had been adopted virtually unchanged, were continued. The treatment methods. Doctor Jacobus Bosch was mainly Burgerlijk Armbestuur (poor relief board) took over most of the responsible for improvements in obstetrics and surgery in secular tasks of the chapter of Sint Servaas. In 1819 it was Calvariënberg. Nursing was placed in the capable hands of the decided to build a new hospital. The Public Hospital, formerly sisters Onder de Bogen (Under the Arches). Sint Servaas hospice, and the temporary hospital in the former In the middle of the nineteenth century, the new hospital buildings of the cell brothers in the Brusselsestraat had become became too small and no longer met the new requirements of too small. The former buildings of the Calvariënberg monastery hospital care. A fully new construction was planned. After were purchased for this purpose. Father and Son Bosch, both study trips and preparations by the surgeon L.Th. van Kleef, the physicians in Maastricht, were the inspirational leaders who doctor-governor, the new Calvariënberg came into operation as oversaw first the reconstruction of the monastery and then the one of the most modern hospitals of the time. Van Kleef gained establishment of the public Calvariënberg Hospital for the Sick international renown in this hospital. Together with the and Disabled. Until 1821, the building of the Saint Servaas physicist Hoffmans, Van Kleef was one of the first doctors in the hospice remained in use as the administrative building of the Netherlands to set up a radiology department. Burgerlijk Armbestuur. New medical knowledge also influenced town planning. Efforts In the first half of the nineteenth century, the medical schools by Dr. E.E. Fouquet, general practitioner and town councillor, of Paris, Berlin and Vienna had made important progress in revealed the strong relationship between communicable diagnostics. A variety of medical instruments, such as the diseases and poor hygiene, housing and work conditions in the sphygmomanometer and the thermometer, had been introduced town. A cholera epidemic broke out as late as 1894, Around into clinical medicine. Rudolph Virchow’s improved microscope 1900, child mortality of 16% and tuberculosis, dysentery and furthered understanding of the pathology of common diseases. typhoid fever as well as cholera outbreaks were the main causes Progress in surgery was also impressive after the introduction of death. The average life expectancy in the region at that time


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above