Page 193

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Right above: Sister Margot disc jockey of the hospital broadcast "Happy medication" in the Sint Annadal hospital 1955. | Archive Zusters onder de Bogen Right below: The farewell of the Sisters under the Arches from the Sint Annadal hospital in 1982. | Archive Zusters onder de Bogen Left below: Portrait of professor G.J. van der Plaats, radiologist in the Sint Annadal hospital from 1936 until 1968. Between 1955 and 1958 professor in radiology at Groningen University. | Archive azM 191 of the congregation of sisters of mercy of the holy Carolus In the following years the transition from hospice to modern Borromeus, also known as the Sisters under the Arches. The hospital was completed. As soon as the hospital had opened, it sisters, who at Annadal had the use of a chapel and a convent, proved too small with its 381 beds. During the first fifteen comprised a quarter of the personnel and played a crucial role in years, Annadal developed into a hospital with over thirty nursing. This was one of the reasons why Annadal was a general specialists, several regional functions and postgraduate training hospital with a prominently roman catholic signature. Father programmes in internal medicine, surgery, radiology, J. Steegmans sat on the board of the foundation on behalf of the orthopaedic surgery and urology. During the poliomyelitis bishop of Roermond. However, the number of religious callings epidemic in the Netherlands there were five hundred patients declined and the roman catholic imprint was to fade gradually. In in Limburg. One of the ten national rehabilitation centres for 1978, there were 24 sisters, and in 1982 the last religious sister patients with poliomyelitis was established in Annadal. left Annadal. The annual reports show that, during the first years The radiologist Professor Dr G.J. van der Plaats gained an of its existence, Sint Annadal hospital admitted many patients international reputation as leader of a cancer research and who 'for reasons of poor living conditions were only admitted to treatment unit that was set up in the hospital in 1954. The the hospital to die there'. surgeon H. Lemmens introduced vascular surgery and the


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above