Page 178

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Below: Visit of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium to the Red Crosshospital 1940. | RHCL Right: Infirmary in the Haupt Kriegsgefangenen Lazarett, 1940. | RHCL 176 the German occupying forces announced that this institution prisoner were deployed to care for the wounded, who would be used exclusively for their own wounded. After continued to pour in for the time being. Especially the Belgian consultation with the Germans, the Red Cross decided to move hospitals near the frontlines were overburdened and sent many its hospital to the Jesuit monastery in the Tongersestraat and patients to Maastricht. On 16 May, the first Moroccan and concentrate on the treatment of wounded prisoners of war. Algerian soldiers in French service arrived. Four days later it On 15 May, a third hospital was set up in the convent was reported that six hundred wounded and one hundred and of the sisters of the holy Carolus Borromaeus in the Kommel. fifty personnel had to be fed and by the end of May a fourth Eighteen Belgian prisoners of war and two French doctors as hospital was opened in the convent of the Franciscan nuns in well as some twenty hospital soldiers that had been taken the Capucijnengang. When the Belgian queen Elisabeth visited


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above