Right: Shell fragments seen at the X-ray of the cervical region of Graf Von Arnim. | RHCL Count Von Arnim 172 Inzet: Description of the X-ray of Graf Von Arnim, 6 August 1914. | RHCL It quickly became clear that the capacity of the hospital had to Among the German wounded that were received at Maastricht on 5 August was Adolf Heinrich, count Von be increased. Calvariënberg, was able to admit two hundred Arnim. He was twenty years old and ‘Fahnenjunker’ with wounded in addition to its regular patients and the eye clinic in the regiment of Brandenburg dragoons. His condition was more serious than appears from the diagnosis in his file, the Villapark could accommodate twenty five wounded. ‘streifsch v/d schedel’. He was admitted in room 24 in the On 4 August, twelve beds became available in Houthem, and main Calvariënberg building. The attending doctor wrote: ‘After being in shock his heart recovered, but his breathing another 35 beds in villa Maya in the Hubertuslaan in Maastricht remained irregular’. An X-ray of the upper spine showed and in two locations in Eijsden, including the ursuline convent. two fragments of metal at the fourth cervical vertebra. He was operated on at 11.30 a.m. on 6 August and the doctors The house of Mr L.W.H. Regout, Bredestraat 17, was also made successfully removed one of the metal fragments, but were available and was able to accommodate 35 patients on 6 August. unable to localise the other one. Von Arnim probably died on the operating table or shortly thereafter; 12.30 was Calvariënberg was destined for the most severely recorded as the time of death. wounded and for patients that needed surgery. Less serious Prince Hendrik, queen Wilhelmina’s husband, who was chair of the central committee of the Red Cross in the Hague, victims went to the Augustinian church and those with only visited the Red Cross hospital in the Augustinian church in minor wounds to Villa Maya, Houthem and Eijsden. At first, Maastricht on 6 August, 1914. The next day he visited the wounded in the Calvariënberg hospital and in the ursuline the house of Regout was used as a convalescent home. The Red convent in Eijsden. In Calvariënberg he was informed of Cross hospital in the Augustinian church was closed on the death of young Arnim and he went to see him in the morgue. Prince Hendrik explained that he knew the Von 24 September, 1914, because heating costs were too high and Arnim family well and took care of the young count’s the hospital was moved to the Bredestraat, where room was effects. When he left on 7 August the prince left one of the cars of his entourage in Maastricht for the hospital made for 92 patients and the operating theatre was arranged. organisation. The Red Cross hospital received a total of 180 patients, 133 German, nineteen Belgian and three Dutch soldiers and 25 Belgian civilians. 62 patients were referred to Calvarënberg. Of those, seventeen died eventually, fourteen German and one Belgian soldiers and two Belgian civilians. The last wounded German soldier left Calvariënberg on 13 January 1916.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above