Page 167

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left page left: First and only annual report of the ophthalmology clinic (Eener te Maastricht opgerichte Oogheelkundige kliniek). The next report was already written by the provincial association for the promotion of the eye clinic (Vereeniging Inrichting voor Ooglijders in Limburg gevestigd te Maastricht). | RHCL GAM inv nr 2 Left page right: Survey of the eye diseaes treated in the ophthalmology clinic, from the first annual report. Mark the remarkable number of patients with trachoma. | RHCL GAM inv nr 2 Below: Charges and regulations for outpatient treatment, published at the backside of the annual report of the association for the promotion of the eye clinic (Vereeniging Inrichting voor Ooglijders in Limburg gevestigd te Maastricht) (1900). | RHCL GAM inv nr 2 165 In the first year, 674 people received opthalmological advice 86 surgical procedures were performed including fourteen 2582 times and 74 patients were admitted, with an average stay times the scraping out of trachoma grains under chloroform in the clinic of seventeen days. Half of the patients were from anaesthesia. The procedure was performed with the nail of the Maastricht and the others from the surrounding municipalities. little finger. The first annual report reveals details of the diagnoses made In order to ensure that his clinic would be financially and surgical treatments performed, and explicitly states that the viable for a prolonged period of time Swart Abrahamsz eye disease trachoma occurred in Limburg with the same established an 'Association for the permanent establishment of frequency as in the rest of the country. During the first year, an Institution for eye sufferers in Limburg.' He managed to convince a large number of prominent citizens in the region of the necessity of such an institution: members of the Provincial Government of Limburg and of the municipal council of Maastricht, mayors of surrounding municipalities and well- known industrialists. They formed the first board of the 'Association' and distributed a circular letter with a request for support in the province. In this letter they also explained a plan to furbish a clinic with six beds and they drew up a budget and investment plan. The members of the 'Association' had to provide funds and a distinction was made between regular members and benefactors. The former paid an annual contribution of three guilders or a lump sum of thirty guilders and the benefactors paid twice this amount. A grant was applied for from the province and the municipalities. This formula was successful and the 'Association', of which the statutes date from 12 March, 1897, remained active until 1954. Dr Swart Abrahamsz became physician-director of the clinic, which was now owned by the 'Association'. On 16 April, 1897, the clinic moved to a new building in the Sint Maartenslaan 37, where the ophthalmologist had the use of better equipment and could perform treatment using galvano- caustics. He also wanted to perform surgery to cure squint but, according to him, these procedures were not popular in Limburg, because farmers looked upon such procedures as a


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above