Page 158

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

156 was decided to build temporary wooden barracks. The medical staff expanded also. Dr van Kleef had left in 1904 and was succeeded as doctor-surgeon by Dr G.C.F. Rombouts (1869 -1946). In 1906, Dr P.A.M.J. Schols was appointed ENT doctor and in 1907 the medical staff was reinforced with the appointment of J.L.C. Overbosch (1880 -1940) an internist. Overbosch was also in charge of the X-ray laboratory. During and immediately after the First World War, there was a difference of opinion in the Burgerlijk Armbestuur and among the medical staff. The problems concerned the relationship with the local general practitioners, and even the municipal council and the province became involved. There were also differences of opinion concerning the much needed extension of the hospital, the authority of the governors in medical matters, free or limited admission of specialists and the appointment of a (non-honorary) physician-director. All this led to a period of indecision. It ended with the appointment of Dr A.H.J. Hintzen (1883 -1934), until then physician-director and internist in Heerlen, to physician-director of the Calvariënberg hospital. He restored stability and was able to realise several plans, such as the building of two additional temporary barracks in the garden, a nurses’ house, the merger of the chemical, pathological and bacteriological laboratories, an enlargement of the paediatric department and new delivery


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above