Right: Announcement of the nurse specialist training psychiatry (black cross) in 150 Calvariënberg. | Archive RHCL A new institution for the mentally ill would not be built for the Many attempts have been made in Limburg to establish a time being. Instead, the part of Calvariënberg in use by the provincial institution for the mentally ill. The only attempt to institution was renovated. Efficiency was improved and in 1892 succeed was that of the Brothers and Sisters of Mercy from a bathroom was installed, in 1902 a telephone connection with Ghent: in 1907 in Venray the Sint Servatius institution for men the administrative building and in 1927 central heating. was opened and a year later the Sint Anna institution for However, this could not disguise the fact that the condition of women. From 1912 these institutions were the main provincial the building left much to be desired. Government Inspection of institution for the mentally ill. For decades after that the Care for the Insane reported in 1902 that sleeping places which situation in the care for the mentally ill in Maastricht remained had been arranged on the ground floor of the chapel were too unchanged. Only when the hospital in the Abtstraat outgrew its damp and not well ventilated. Because the first floor was rotting buildings, did new developments become possible. In 1950 the away and the prayer room on the first floor much too small, it construction of the new Sint Annadal hospital was completed was decided to clear the old chapel, renovate and extend it on a new site somewhat further westwards. The institution extensively and use it only as a place of prayer. New acquired corporate rights and on 1 January, 1951 mr Zeguers dormitories were built for the residents. This work was became financial director and Mesker was appointed medical completed in 1907. In the meantime the allowed maximum director. Empty buildings further along the Abtstraat offered capacity of the institution had been reduced to 26 men and the solution to the institution’s housing problems. This thirty women. Although every place was occupied, in 1917 building, which was once a farm of Calvariënberg that supplied there were plans to close the institution because of the poor food to the monastery and in 1923 was put into use as nurses’ accommodations. The idea was to replace it with a “nurses home, was now converted into a new psychiatric institution. ’home”.The doctors of the Burgerlijk Armbestuur and It opened its doors on 16 December 1952. Dr J.H. Schuurman Stekhoven, the Inspector of the Government Inspectorate of the Care for the Insane, opposed this idea, because all hospital capacity had to be kept operational because of the World War. Medically, there were close ties between the institution for the insane and the hospital. The hospital physician was also physician of the institution until 1936. After Professor Cornelis Winkler had succeeded in incorporating psychiatry into medical education around 1900, slowly but surely academically trained specialists in mental diseases joined the medical staff of psychiatric institutions. In 1936, neurologist De Jong was appointed at the Maastricht Institution followed by the psychiatrist Mesker in 1941.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above