Page 143

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left below: Façade of Hôpital de la Concorde, now Library of Maastricht University. Photo Harry Paping | RHCL, GAM F13202 Left: The two hospital wings of the garrison hospital, built in 1825 and 1826, and demolished in 1975. | RHCL, GAM 14363 Below: Letter from the director of Hôpital de la Concorde to the town council of Maastricht. | RHCL 141 In the second half of the nineteenth century Maastricht lost its importance as a fortress. The garrison was reduced in size and in 1867 the fortress was fi nally abandoned. As a consequence, the military hospital was closed in 1906, a decision that was revoked in 1909. The building remained in use for the nursing and care of sick army personnel until 1920, when the construction of the infi rmary in the grounds of the current Tapijnbarracks was completed. Maastricht hospitals were again put into use in 1814. A month later an additional hospital for recovering soldiers was opened in the redoute ward. Before and after the departure of the French, the army used the Sint Servaas hospice at least until July 1814. In the following years only the Concorde or Harmony Hospital in the Grote Looiersstraat remained in use eventually. At various reorganisations of the medical service of the army, the institution remained in Maastricht as Permanent Hospital or Garrison hospital. A structural maintenance plan from 1824 shows that, in addition to the wards, the building contained two kitchens, a laundry room, a bathroom, classrooms for surgery, a laboratory, a morgue, lavatories and various offi ces. According to the plan, the inside walls had to be painted white except for those of the ward for the blind which were painted green. In 1825 and 1826, the complex was extended with two new wings behind the former poor house. These wings offered room for six large patient wards. The kitchen, laundry kitchen and the bath were moved to the part of the building that connected the new wings to the old building in the Grote Looiersstraat. In this old part there were also wards as well as the pharmacy, the storage room for medicines and the laboratory. In the renovated complex four hundred patients could be accommodated in normal conditions; in cases of emergency capacity could be increased to 550.


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above