Page 142

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

56 Hôpital de la Concorde. IMaximilianus Henricus Salden, who died in 1745. 4 November 1794, the garrison and the allies left the fortress.‘contractor’, a certain J.G. Martiau, who received an advancepayment of two thousand guilders. After the capitulation onn 1757 a brand new poor house was built in the GroteLooiersstraat in Maastricht enabled by the legacy of canon 140 The poor house fl ourished here until part of the building was Hereupon the French took over the building and used it as a requisitioned to accommodate the Austrian troops that came to hospital, which they named Hôpital Militaire de la Concorde. reinforce the garrison early in 1793. During the siege by the As the war front moved further away, the need for a French in 1794, the army took over the poor house to use it as military hospital in the town diminished and after some time it a hospital. The town supplied furniture, tools, kitchen was closed. In its stead the Sint Servaas hospice in the Vrijthof equipment and linen. The care and nursing of the patients was was requested in 1798 to keep beds available for the army. As a – as was common in those days – contracted out to a result of the French defeats and the approach of the front, the


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above