Page 135

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left below: Professors of the Secondary School, the Office of Beneficence and the town doctors during the French administration in Maastricht. From the town almanac Maastricht 1802. | Municipal library Centre Ceramique Maastricht. SBAl66 Right: Chrétien Coenegracht (1755-1818). Mayor of Maastricht and first chairman of the College of Governors of the Poor (1815-1817). | RHCL. Repro 88 133 town authorities. In order to fund their tasks the Administrative Committees and Offices of Beneficence could dispose of the proceeds of entertainment taxes and they were entitled to raise funds. On 12 February, 1797, the municipal administration of Maastricht appointed former notary Hupkens, merchant-tanner Gadiot, goldsmith Jans, plumber-contractor Soiron and physician Dr J.H. Bosch as members of the Maastricht Office of Beneficence for Housebound Poor People. This office was in operation for only a few years, however, because for reasons of efficiency it was decided to merge a number of Offices in the region in 1801. A Central Office of Beneficence which also served the surrounding municipalities was established in Maastricht. In 1802, the prefect of the department of the – ‘Mount Mercy’ – which aimed to give cheap loans to poor Nedermaas appointed Dr J.H. Bosch, justice of the peace Jessé, people. Also a cloth and mattress factory was set up in the Poor the notary of Gulpen and Mrs Limpens and Nijpels as members House, which consequently was named the ‘United Factories of of the Central Office of Beneficence in Maastricht. Nijpels was the Poor’. chairman and Bosch secretary. After the French had left in 1814, the Offices of Nijpels and Bosch also became chairman and secretary Beneficence were closed and so-called Colleges of Governors of of the Maastricht Administrative Committee of Civilian the Poor were established. In Maastricht, after an amendment Hospices, which was set up in 1797. This Committee of the regulations in 1856 -1857, this name was changed to administered various homes for children and old people and Burgerlijk Armbestuur . The first College of Governors of the hospices in the town. Some central facilities were created, Poor was installed by mayor C. Coenegracht in 1815. Its such as a bakery in the Poor House and a central pharmacy in members were merchant F. Behr, lawyer W. Mockel, notary H. the Sint Servaas hospice. The Office of Beneficence and the Nierstrasz, former alderman P. Tielens and officer of the law Administrative Committee of Public Hospices worked closely court P. van Slijpe. In 1814 it was also decided that the College together. In 1801 property, land rents and capital confiscated of Governors would be assisted by an amanuensis, who would from the church and the nobility by the state were given to also act as steward. these bodies, which enabled new initiatives. As a result the Physician Dr J.H. Bosch held this office from 1815 until extension of the Sint Servaas hospice to civilian hospital 1849. One of the first tasks of the College of Governors was to could be undertaken and new initiatives became possible, return to the church the property and possessions that had including a home for abandoned children and a loan office been confiscated by the French. Together with their property,


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above