Page 133

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left below: Institution for the insane Calvariënberg van 1847-1951. The patients were admitted in the so-called Canonhouse (on the right), the chapel (midlle) and the former cloister (left). The Calvariestraat is at the left side of the wall. | RHCL, GAM Right: Fixation chair for the insane, institute for the insane Calvariënberg. | RHCL 131 years by Francois Fraiture, who together with his brother had a factory of street lanterns in the chapel of the monastery during the French period. Chapel and canon house were located next to the hospital and the institution for old and poor people. For fear that the sick and the elderly in the institutions would come face to face with mentally insane patients, the Burgerlijk Armbestuur was initially firmly opposed to the idea of establishing an institution for the insane in the old Calvariënberg monastery. But pressure to take action grew. In 1845, Didden’s establishment was again judged to be below standards, now by the Provincial Government. People still slept in cribs, two to one crib, the smell in the dayroom was unbearable, there was no supervision, men and women moved freely through the building, there was no bed linen and blankets and straw sacks were worn out. The widow Diddens put up 38 insane adults, three under- age children, an aunt aged 94 and her mother in law who was A quick succession of initiatives to establish a provincial 88 years old. When the province threatened to move elsewhere, medical institution for the insane followed. Two detailed the Burgerlijk Armbestuur relented: the buildings of Fraiture construction plans, one for Roermond and one for Maastricht, would be refurbished to be suitable receiving thirty mentally ill failed to find favour in the eyes of the Provincial Government, people from Maastricht. A floor was added to the canon house because they were considered overly ambitious: they were and connected to the chapel by a new wing. A high wall was built based on 180 patients. A plan of Kraft, the Maastricht town on the side of the street to separate the grounds of the institution architect, and the director in chief of Water Management and from the outside world and remove the residents from view. On Public Works also came to nothing and in 1845 all plans were 25 April, 1847, this initiative received approval from The Hague shelved. The provincial government asked the town of and on 1 May, 1847 it was officially opened. Diddens’s widow Maastricht how much it would cost to improve Didden’s closed her house for the insane that same year. Maastricht was institution, but Maastricht was slow to respond. In the same the fifth town in the Netherlands with an institution for the year the College of Governors bought a part of the old insane that met government requirements. Calvariënberg monastery which it had not yet acquired: the old convent chapel in the Calvariestraat and the so-called canon house to the west of it. This house had been lived in for


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above