Page 125

Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd

Left: Courtyard of the institution Calvariënberg. Pen drawing in grey-brown, washed in colours by Ph. van Gulpen. 1849. | RHCL, Cvdn 127 123 built in the garden. The main argument for these plans was that appointed surgeon and obstetrician of the new hospital, and improving the care for the sick would serve the general public J. van Gulpen (1786 -1837) was appointed chief pharmacist. good. After all, breadwinners who were ill condemned their Dr Bosch’s work in surgery and obstetrics gave the new hospital wives and children to benefi cence, and medical care could be an excellent reputation. He also trained new surgeons and provided more effectively in a hospital than elsewhere. obstetricians. Annually, approximately eighty poor patients M. Hermans (1789 -1842) and M. Soiron (1748 -1834), the were admitted with an average hospital stay of around two to municipal architects, were commissioned to build the hospital. three months, in order to enable admittance of private, and Dr J.H. Bosch, who was also amanuensis-steward of the College consequently paying, patients. The patients were nursed by lay of Governors of the Poor, was asked to advise about the personnel, so-called orderlies, who were not paid but received construction. To orientate himself, he visited various hospitals board and lodging in exchange for their work. Many complaints in Paris, and equipped the hospital according to the latest ideas. were made about them for their coarseness and frequent The ground fl oor was occupied by the operating theatre, drunkenness. In 1837, care improved markedly with the arrival a laboratory, a pharmacy and two large wards for wounded men at Calvariënberg of the sisters of mercy of the holy Carolus and women, each about ninety square meters and with a Borromeus. At fi rst there were some problems with lay capacity of fourteen beds. A dormitory for disabled men, a personnel, but the College persisted and in 1843 the fi rst fi ve delivery room, a room for new mothers, an autopsy room and sisters were permanently appointed. a mortuary were also situated on the ground fl oor. On the fi rst The Civilian Hospital for the Sick and Disabled, and second fl oors, the hospital had two wards, each with Calvariënberg, was an institution for the poor. Investments and fourteen beds, for men and women with febrile diseases, two running expenses were paid from the proceeds of poor funds. smaller wards for patients with venereal disease, two wards for The annual number of patients gradually rose to fi ve hundred, patients with scabies and some rooms for storage and for the multiplying many times during the great cholera epidemics of assistants of the pharmacist and the surgeon. In all, it was for 1848 -1849, 1854 -1855 and 1858 -1859. A separate lazaret was that time a modern institution with departments of external opened for contagious patients, and even a temporary (surgery) and internal disease. The presence of an autopsy additional lazaret with four wards was added during the last room was of great signifi cance for the further development of epidemic. Until 1845, the College of Governors of the Poor did medicine. The hospital covered an area of around fi fteen not regard care of the insane as one of their tasks, and mental hundred square meters. The chapel behind the building patients were housed in the former convent of the grey sisters. remained unused. At the end of 1822, the hospital was ready to Although this convent was owned by the College of Governors, admit the fi rst patients. they did not consider this type of care their responsibility. Dr J.H. Bosch was the chief-physician. However, his When the College had the opportunity to purchase the old administrative duties left him little time to practise medicine. chapel in the Calvariestraat behind the convent as well as the On 31 December 1822, his son Dr J.F.J. Bosch (1794 -1874) was adjoining insane asylum, these buildings were converted to an


Geneeskundeboek-Opmaak Binnenwerk-ENG.indd
To see the actual publication please follow the link above